CRC News: March 2, 2020
Hello NCCRT Members & 80% Partners,
Welcome to March, National Colorectal Cancer Awareness Month! We have several exciting updates to share with all of you.
Congratulations to the 2020 80% in Every Community National Achievement Award Winners!
The NCCRT has recognized six organizations with the 2020 80% in Every Community National Achievement Award, a prestigious national honor recognizing leadership given in recognition of distinguished, ongoing efforts to increase colorectal cancer screening rates across the United States. This year’s recipients include the University of Alabama at Birmingham, AL, as the grand prize winner; and other honorees include Representative Fred Allen, Little Rock, AR; Dan L Duncan Comprehensive Cancer Center, Houston, TX; Norton Sound Health Corporation, Nome, AK; North Hudson Community Action Corporation, Union City, NJ; and the North Dakota Colorectal Cancer Roundtable, Bismarck, ND. View and share the press release and don’t miss our recognition of these distinguished honorees during our annual National Colorectal Cancer Awareness Month Webcast on March 5 at 2:00 pm ET (learn more below).
Reminder: Register for our National Colorectal Cancer Awareness Month Webcast on March 5
We hope you will join us on March 5 at 2pm ET for our annual webcast featuring Dr. Richard Wender, NCCRT Chair, and other guests celebrating the successes of the 80% in Every Community initiative and sharing more about colorectal cancer screening. The live webcast will feature:
- Video profiles of our 2020 80% in Every Community National Achievement Award honorees, including a special on-location video interview with leaders at the University of Alabama at Birmingham, our grand prize awardee.
- Allison Rosen, colorectal cancer survivor and a leader of Dan L Duncan Comprehensive Cancer Center’s innovative efforts to increase colorectal cancer screening, awards honoree.
- A close look at what the recent 2018 colorectal cancer screening national data means for our work with Dr. Amy DeGroff, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and Dr. Stacey Fedewa, American Cancer Society.
- A never-before-aired interview with Cynt Marshall, Dallas Mavericks CEO, colon cancer survivor and champion for colorectal cancer screening.
NCCRT Workshop & Discussion Session at Prevent Cancer Dialogue
The Prevent Cancer Foundation is hosting the Prevent Cancer Dialogue, an annual national conference that brings a diversity of stakeholders together to discuss the best ways to reinforce cancer screening, prevention and risk reduction initiatives in their communities. Registration is now open for this year’s meeting, which will be held on April 15-17, 2020 in Arlington, VA. NCCRT plans to host a workshop during the preconference session on Wednesday, April 15 from 10:30 to 11:45am ET. The workshop, How to Ensure Follow-Up for Abnormal FIT Results, will explore what recent research tells us about suboptimal colonoscopy follow-up rates to positive fecal immunochemical tests, clinical implications for delayed follow-up, and how one primary care practice has implemented systems changes to ensure timely follow-up. NCCRT will also host a topics forum and dialogue for NCCRT members and colorectal cancer screening partners, which will solicit input and feedback on the development of an NCCRT-led CRC screening communications and messaging portal. This discussion will take place on Wednesday, April 15 from 4:15 to 5:45pm ET. Thank you to our friends at the Prevent Cancer Foundation for generously sharing their meeting space with us.
Upcoming Partner Events & Educational Opportunities
- Bracco Diagnostics Inc. is hosting an informational webinar on reimbursement for CT colonography on March 10, 2020.
- The American Indian Cancer Foundation is hosting a few webinars on colorectal cancer screening this month, including one on implementing the Advancing Health Systems: Colorectal Cancer Screening within American Indian and Alaska Native Communities resource, a toolkit for providers and clinic teams on Mar 17, 2020 at 2pm ET and Colorectal Cancer Screening Initiatives Across Indian Country on March 31, 2020 at 2pm ET. Visit AICAF’s website to download new culturally-tailored resources and to learn about the second annual Blue Beads Day awareness day on March 25, 2020.
- The Colorado Cancer Screening Program is hosting a five-session webinar series on stool-based screening for colorectal cancer February 21 to March 19, 2020.
- The inaugural Western Colorectal Cancer Consortium Conference (WC4) will be held March 26-27, 2020 at the UC Davis Conference Center in Davis, CA.
- Registration is open for the Sixth Annual Early Age Onset Colorectal Cancer Summit to be held April 22-23, 2020 in New York, NY.
- Registration is open for the 5th Annual Southeastern Colorectal Consortium to be held June 9-11, 2020 in Louisville, KY.
Thank you for the great work you do!
The NCCRT Team
Did you miss a past edition of CRC News? Visit the News & Research archive.
Do you have a colleague that would like to be adding to receive our newsletter? Please encourage them to sign up to receive CRC News.