CRC News: April 17, 2023
Dear NCCRT Members:
We are excited to share with you several updates to inform your colorectal cancer screening work.
Save the Date for the 2023 ACS NCCRT Annual Meeting!
We hope you will save the dates to join us for the 2023 ACS NCCRT Annual Meeting on November 15-17. We are thrilled to share that we’re planning to meet in-person in Houston, Texas. We will share further details on the agenda, registration, hotel, and sponsorship opportunities in the coming weeks. Meanwhile, please mark your calendars! Updates will be shared in this newsletter and on the event webpage.
Registration is open for our Next Blue Star Conversation!
We are excited to announce NCCRT will be hosting our latest Blue Star Conversation on Wednesday, May 17, 2023 from 2:00-3:00 PM ET. This one-hour long program will feature a brief presentation by Elizabeth Ciemins, PhD, MPH, MA, Senior Director of Research and Analytics at AMGA (American Medical Group Association), on rates of follow-up colonoscopy after a positive (abnormal) stool-based screening test, followed by small and large group discussions among attendees. Hosted by the NCCRT Professional Education & Practice Implementation (PEPI) Strategic Priority Team, this interactive and engaging program is open to NCCRT members and CDC’s Colorectal Cancer Control Program and Comprehensive Cancer Control Program grantees.
Do you need to update your NCCRT member representatives? Or are you unsure of who is on our lists? Please email email@example.com. To register, click this link.
Replay Available: 2023 Colorectal Cancer Awareness Month Webcast
Did you miss our annual Colorectal Cancer Awareness Month Webcast on March 23, 2023? Now you can view the slides and watch the reply! Watch the webcast to learn about national achievements and to hear the latest state of the field updates that inform our work.
Interested in Joining an ACS NCCRT Committee?
The ACS NCCRT is seeking an NCCRT member to join the Membership Committee, the committee that reviews NCCRT membership applications and makes recommendations for membership to the NCCRT Steering Committee. Membership committee members work independently to review a small batch of applicants every 4-6 weeks, with occasional group calls. If you’re interested in putting your name forward for this committee or for future open opportunities, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, experience with NCCRT, and interest in this role.
National Cancer Institute Releases National Cancer Plan
Earlier this month, the National Cancer Institute (NCI) announced the release of the National Cancer Plan, which aims to provide a framework for everyone—across the federal government and all of society—to collaborate in ending cancer as we know it. It also outlines goals designed to support the aims of the Cancer Moonshot and provides a framework for ways to meaningfully contribute to achieving these goals.
The plan has three elements:
- Eight goals to prevent cancer, reduce deaths from cancer, and ensure the best possible quality of life for people living with cancer
- A set of strategies associated with each goal, describing essential research and other activities needed to maximize benefits for everyone
- A call to action that is also at the center of the Cancer Moonshot: that everyone—every organization and individual—do their part to help end cancer as we know it
Learn how the American Cancer Society and its advocacy affiliate, the American Cancer Society Cancer Action Network, commit to working alongside the Moonshot Initiative to improve the lives of cancer patients and their families: American Cancer Society Statement: White House’s Cancer Moonshot National Cancer Plan.
NACDD Releases New Mailed FIT Online Course
With support from CDC’s Division of Cancer Prevention and Control and Kaiser Permanente Center for Health Research, the National Association of Chronic Disease Directors (NACDD) has launched a Mailed Fecal Immunochemical Test (FIT) Online Course to help increase colorectal cancer screening rates in diverse healthcare settings.
The free online course provides healthcare professionals with easy-to-access information in video form. The videos cover all phases of a mailed FIT outreach program, including getting started, selecting a FIT kit, population selection, advance notifications, mailing FIT kits, sending reminders, processing received samples, following up on abnormal results, and sustaining the program.
The Mailed FIT Online Course gives step-by-step instructions on how to design and implement a successful Mailed FIT outreach program, including clinic preparation, a flowchart of operational steps, and recommendations for follow-up. The course also provides testimonial videos from three clinics and includes a variety of helpful resources for implementing mailed FIT programs, a companion workbook, and a messages guide for use in promoting the training to partners.
The ACS NCCRT is proud to have supported the development of this resource as a member of the advisory group.
Upcoming Member Events
- The University of Texas MD Anderson is hosting a Young-Onset Colorectal Cancer (YOCRC) Virtual Patient Conference Saturday, May 20, 2023, from 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM CT. The primary target audience includes YOCRC patients, families and caregivers, while the entire colorectal cancer community is invited to tune into this virtual conference. Learn more and register.
- The Prevent Cancer Foundation’s 2023 Prevent Cancer Dialogue will be held virtually as a series of two webcast summits addressing innovations and health equity in cancer prevention and early detection. Registration for each virtual summit is separate and free of charge.
- Summit 1: Addressing Community-Level Disparities in Cancer Prevention and Early Detection – Wednesday, May 24, 2023, 1:00-4:00 PM ET.
- Summit 2: Harnessing the Power of Innovation to Improve Cancer Prevention and Early Detection – Wednesday, June 28, 2023, 1:00-4:00 PM ET.
- Registration is open for the 7th annual Southeastern Colorectal Cancer Consortium Conference June 21-23, 2023 in Norfolk, Virginia. Poster abstract submissions are due April 28, 2023.
Many thanks for the great work you do!
The NCCRT Team